Saturday, February 15, 2014

Who woulda thought

So I'm definitely not a granola mom.  I only nursed til 7 months with all three kids, I didn't cloth diaper and in my foreseeable future I don't plan to homeschool....AND, if truth be told my kids love Lucky Charms and Kraft Mac and Cheese - even with all the bad junk that's in them.  (In my defense they eat greek yogurt, hummus and chia seeds too!  See its all about balance!)

With that said, those who know me well are probably shocked at my new found love of essential oils.  And its true, its a new found LOVE.

The funny thing about being a mom is that at some point (maybe multiple points) during your mommyhood journey, you are going to throw your hands up with no idea at how to solve a problem.  That's what happened with my family.  And when desperation sets in you are willing to test the waters of almost anything.

Its no secret that we have had numerous MRSA infections which have left me crazy.  So crazy that my kids don't own bath toys, the girls only shower, their towels have names and we wash 5 towels EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. with hot water and bleach.  So with desperation set in - a friend mentioned essential oils having a protocol for MRSA and I was all in.

A few weeks ago my skeptical (and frugal) husband and I purchased a started kit and I decided if we were going to try this out, we were going all in.  So I started researching something I never even knew existed and trying to make it work for our family.  Of course the day our kit arrived, 2 out of 5 had the start of a cold. 

My children have always had, um....ridiculous sickness.  Elle couldn't have a cold without an ear infection which led to tubes, Clare and Cole both have asthma induced symptoms when they get a cold, which leads to lots and lots of steroids, which leads to crazy mood swings and food cravings.  My prayer was that we would just outgrow all of these things and until then, we washed their hands, but what else are you going to do?!

During our little colds I started trying out my new magic potions :)  It took a while to get it right as Clare's cough was building I started panicking that I was going to have to pull out the nebulizer, but then I read somewhere that lavender could calm asthma.  So, I rubbed some on her back and chest, diffused some in her room - coughing ended.  Then we started diffusing lavender in Cole's room - coughing ended.  Then we started putting lavender on their feet before bedtime nightly.

All of a sudden this little experiment seemed to click and make sense.  All of a sudden I started to have some faith in these magic oils I purchased as mine and LD's colds disappeared within days.

So - this mama is sold.  We have started a totally new journey in our house and its so different from anything I've ever done.  I feel a little like an imposter as I attempt to help my kids while they are sick after so quickly calling the doctor for so many years.

Its one of those things.  As a mom of little ones, when something is working, and helping - and its natural without SO MANY SIDE EFFECTS - you have to share the news.

Email me if you want more info! jmelissamarie@gmail.com

No comments: