Saturday, February 1, 2014

Beauty in the present

In my attempt to embrace the life stage I am in, I've really tried to see beauty in my tasks.  And yeah, that can be hard.
 
Most, if not all of the time, I make a mental to do list and within 5 minutes, 5 hours or 5 days, I have to do the task again.  Normally its 5 minutes and seldom 5 days.  Things like picking up messes, making meals, cleaning, fixing, brushing....you know, you have the same list.
 
 
One of my current favorite writers and bloggers is Ann Voskamp (www.aholyexperience.com) .  She's an incredible woman.  You know the type, homeschooling mother of 5 or 6 who is a farmers wife and makes everything from scratch and does it all with grace and beauty.   When I read her blogs I am always encouraged and inspired.  But, I noticed that a lot of her photography is of her mundane, but it looks beautiful!!  How does she make a pile of play dough on the floor look like beauty and not a panic to clean up?!  I'm not a photographer in any way, but a light bulb went on for me 
 
I can find beauty in my daily tasks, beauty in this present stage of life, beauty in what I do every day.  So, this week I kept my camera handy and just snapped pictures of life and tried to see it through a different lens.
 
Let's be honest.  There will always be a mental check list, but it won't always include folding a little red tutu poking out of the laundry basket, picking up tiny little paints splattered across my dining room table or cutting little bitty pieces of meat for dinner.
 
 
Sometimes the only thing we need to do to see beauty is change the way we are looking at it.  I am just like the rest - I would rather be reading a book to my children than emptying the dishwasher or folding laundry.  And sure, you always hear the great wisdom of "let your house go - play with your children" - and I think that is wise and important.  Balance is key.  And at the end of the day, even if I choose to play with my kids all day, someone has to empty the dishwasher.
 
 
But maybe if I keep my camera handy, and look through a different lens,  I will find a little more inspiration in this chaotic life with little children and see beauty in right where I am.
 
 
 

No comments: