Monday, November 12, 2012

And the angels rejoiced!

I always knew there would come a day when my children came to me and asked questions about Jesus being Lord of their life and I have so anticipated that day.  Never did I think it would be at the young age of 4, so I was a bit taken back when Clare consistently asked me how Jesus could get into her heart all week last week. 

I think at first I tried to almost avoid the question or explain it to her, but not give her an opportunity to make a decision because I thought she was too young to truly understand it.  I wanted her to be able to remember the decision to know Christ and remember inviting him into her life.

And then after talking to both LD and my mom I realized that God desires us to come with faith like a child.  Christ created us to feel unsettled until we have placed our lives and our trust in Him.  I have no doubt that even at Clare's very young age she was feeling unsettled about her unanswered questions.

A lot of Clare's questions about heaven and how to get there came about earlier than with most children because she lost her very sweet friend Joey last February to cancer.  Joey's absence in her life forced us to have conversations I would have never anticipated having that early.  Being so young, Clare asked blunt questions "Where is Joey?"  "How is he going to get back?"  "Why is he in heaven?"  "When can I see him?"  And those questions have not faded over time. 

Just last week Clare asked me at least 2 times per day without any prompting from me at the most random times, while I was cooking or picking up her room.  "How does Jesus get into my heart?"  The sweetest part was after I explained all you have to do was ask him to come in, she said "And then he'll just fly across the street and come in??!"

So last night before bed LD and I asked her if she wanted to pray to ask him into her heart.  We prayed the sweetest and shortest prayer ever and she repeated after us.  It went like this. "Dear Jesus, Please forgive me for the wrong things that I do.  Help me to make good decisions.  Please come live in my heart forever and ever because I love you.  Amen"

Clare smiled and said "And now he's there forever?  Do you have him in your heart too?"

I have no doubt we will answer a lot of questions for Clare in her lifetime about the decision she made and how hard it can be to follow him in this dark world.  But my prayer for her is Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it." 

She is forever a member of God's family because of her sweet little 4 year old decision and the angels in heaven rejoice knowing her life will be dedicated to serving Him!

And this mama's heart could not be fuller!

4 comments:

Britt Watt said...

That is so awesome! Way to go, Clare!!

kay said...

tears in my eyes!!

yay clare!! love you sweet girl!

Unknown said...

I'm crying too! Go, Clare! And you and LD, rock, Melissa! So proud of you guys lead and parent by example.

Corey T. said...

oh wow! i am so overjoyed for sweet little Clare. God is so good melissa. You are such a beautiful woman and mother and such a Godly example to your girls. They are blessed because of your faith. I pray diligently over John that he comes to know Christ at such a young age as well. Glory! God is good!